C API: how to replace python number object in place?

Stephen Vavasis vavasis at cpu111.math.uwaterloo.ca
Thu May 14 23:24:51 EDT 2009

In my previous posting, I inquired how to change a python numeric object
in place.  Several people responded that this is not possible.  Perhaps I
should explain the larger problem that I am trying to solve, and then the
solution will become apparent.  I have a C routine R that invokes a Python
routine S repeatedly.  This Python routine S takes three arguments, two
floats and an integer.  I have read the documentation explaining how R can
use the C API to construct an argument list for invoking S.  The issue
that baffles me is that, as far as I can tell, each time R invokes S
again, it needs to deallocate and reallocate the three arguments.  It
would seem be much more efficient if R could create the argument list once
and then modify the values inside of it for each subsequent invocation of
S.

-- Steve Vavasis