Help with Tkinter on OS X --- driving me insane!

Edward Grefenstette egrefen at gmail.com
Sun May 17 06:51:16 EDT 2009

Any attempt to do anything with Tkinter (save import) raises the
following show-stopping error:

"Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/
python2.6/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 1645, in __init__
    self._loadtk()
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/
python2.6/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 1659, in _loadtk
    % (_tkinter.TK_VERSION, tk_version)
RuntimeError: tk.h version (8.4) doesn't match libtk.a version (8.5)"

As you can see, I'm running the vanilla install python on OS X 10.5.7.
Does anyone know how I can fix this? Google searches have yielded
results ranging from suggestions it has been fixed (not for me) to
recommendations that the user rebuild python against a newer version
of libtk (which I have no idea how to do).

I would greatly appreciate any assistance the community can provide on
the matter.

Best,
Edward