Which C compiler?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon May 18 03:07:27 EDT 2009

Jive Dadson wrote:
> I am using Python 2.4.  I need to make a native Python extension for
> Windows XP.  I have both VC++ 6.0 and Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition.
> Will VC++ 6.0 do the trick?  That would be easier for me, because the
> project is written for that one.  If not, will the 2005 compiler do it?

In general, to build extension modules, you need to use the same VC
version as the one that was used to build Python. For 2.4, that would
be Visual Studio 2003. So if you use VC 6, VS 2005, or VS 2008, you
may run into problems.

Depending on what exactly the extension module does, it might work
fine also.

Regards,
Martin