Advanced Python books?

kj socyl at 987jk.com.invalid
Mon May 18 16:04:08 EDT 2009

I have read a couple of "learn Python"-type books, and now I'm
looking for some more advanced books on Python, something analogous
to "Effective Java" or "High-Order Perl".  I've only been able to
find "Advanced Python 3 Programming Techniques", which, as far as
I can tell, is only available as a "Kindle Book".  (Since I won't
be buying a Kindle for another few decades, this is not an option
for me.)

I tried out "Dive into Python", because I was told that it was
written for people with prior programming experience.  It's an OK
book, but I don't find that it is much more advanced than pretty
much any other "learn Python" book I've seen.

Basically I'm looking for a book that assumes that one has the
basics of the language down, and instead focuses on standard problems
of software development, such as application architecture and
design, prototyping, debugging, profiling and performance-tuning,
testing, packaging/distribution, extending/embedding, threading
and IPC, persistence, etc., and on various prototypical cases such
as command-line utilities, GUI-apps, webapps, database-backed apps,
simulations, etc.

Granted, it is unlikely that a single book will do justice to all
these areas, but these are the topics I'm now interested in, from
the perspective of Python.

Any suggestions?

TIA!