Adding a Par construct to Python?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon May 18 16:07:26 EDT 2009

George Sakkis wrote:
> On May 18, 5:27 am, jer... at martinfamily.freeserve.co.uk wrote:
>
>> My suggestion is primarily about using multiple threads and sharing
>> memory - something akin to the OpenMP directives that one of you has
>> mentioned. To do this efficiently would involve removing the Global
>> Interpreter Lock, or switching to Jython or Iron Python as you
>> mentioned.
>>
>> However I *do* actually want to add syntax to the language.

I can understand you having a preference, but you may have to choose
between fighting over that method or achieving results.  I agree with ...
> Good luck with that. The GIL is not going away any time soon (or
> probably ever) and as long as CPython is the "official"
> implementation, there are almost zero chances of adding syntax support
> for this. Besides, Guido and other py-devs are not particularly keen
> on threads as a parallelization mechanism.

Parallel processes can run on multiple processors as well as multiple
cores within a processor.  Some problems, like massive search, require
multiple disks (or memories, or IO ports) as well as multiple processing
units.  There is debate over how useful massively multicore processors
will actually be and for which types of problems.

tjr