UDP reading on multiple sockets

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Tue May 19 09:11:13 EDT 2009

On Mon, 18 May 2009 06:19:01 -0700 (PDT), thomas.vogel at likeabird.de wrote:
>On 17 Mai, 04:22, Grant Edwards <gra... at visi.com> wrote:
>> On 2009-05-17, Thomas Vogel <thomas.vo... at likeabird.de> wrote:
>>
>> > I'm currently have the problem that I try to read UDP messages from
>> > multiple sockets in parallel. So let's say I get UDP packets from the
>> > same IP on the ports 2000, 2001, 2002,...
>>
>> Is there any reason you can't do it the easy way by using
>> select?
>>
>> http://docs.python.org/library/select.html
>>
>> --
>> Grant
>
>The only honest answer would be that I'm totaly unfamiliar with select
>and also the documentation I found wasn't able to clear the picture.
>So are there examples of using select together with sockets available?

You might find Twisted easier to use correctly than the select module.
You can find some basic Twisted/UDP documentation here:

  http://twistedmatrix.com/projects/core/documentation/howto/udp.html

You can trivially change the first example to handle multiple sockets -
just add more reactor.listenUDP calls.

Jean-Paul