Adding a Par construct to Python?

Luis Alberto Zarrabeitia Gomez kyrie at uh.cu
Thu May 21 08:50:18 EDT 2009

Quoting Carl Banks <pavlovevidence at gmail.com>:

> I don't have any reply to this post except for the following excerpts:
>
> On May 20, 8:10 pm, Luis Alberto Zarrabeitia Gomez <ky... at uh.cu>
> wrote:
> > 2- in [almost] every other language, _you_ have to be aware of the
> critical
> > sections when multithreading.
> [snip]
> > That's not what I said. We are not talking about the _language_, but about
> one
> > very specific implementation detail. Not even that, I'm talking about one
> of the
> > reasons presented in favor of that specific implementation detail (while
> > agreeing with the others).
[...]
> No other languages have nesting by indentation (while still being
> reasonablyt successful)....
> etc
>
> Comparisons to other languages are useless here.  In many cases Python
> does things differently from most other languages and usually it's
> better off for it.

You seem to have missed that I'm not talking about the language but about a
specific implementation detail of CPython. I thought that my poor choice of
words in that sentence was completely clarified by the paragraphs that followed,
but apparently it wasn't. In my "2-" point, maybe I should've said instead: "in
[almost] every language, INCLUDING (proper) PYTHON, you have to be aware of
critcal sections when multithreading".

> The fact that other languages do something differently doesn't mean
> that other way's better, in fact it really doesn't mean anything at
> all.

No, it doesn't mean that it's better, and I didn't say it was. But it _does_
show that it is _possible_. For an argument about how hard could be to write
native extensions in there was no GIL, the fact that there are many other
GIL-less platforms[1] where is not painful to write native extensions is a valid
counter-example. And that, in all those languages and platforms (including
python), the only one where I hear that explicit, granular locking is too hard
or whatever[2], is CPython's /native/ extensions, is what I found weird.

Regards,

Luis

[1] Including the python implementations for .net and java.
[2] Really, this is was my question and nothing more. I was not comparing, I was
trying to understand what was that "whatever" that made it so hard for CPython.
And your footnote in the previous message gave me a reasonable explanation.

--
Luis Zarrabeitia
Facultad de Matemática y Computación, UH

--
Participe en Universidad 2010, del 8 al 12 de febrero de 2010
La Habana, Cuba