lxml: traverse xml tree and retrieve element based on an attribute

byron bjruth at gmail.com
Thu May 21 17:42:24 EDT 2009

I am using the lxml.etree library to validate an xml instance file
with a specified schema that contains the data types of each element.
This is some of the internals of a function that extracts the
elements:

        schema_doc = etree.parse(schema_fn)
        schema = etree.XMLSchema(schema_doc)

        context = etree.iterparse(xml_fn, events=('start', 'end'),
schema=schema)

        # get root
        event, root = context.next()

        for event, elem in context:
            if event == 'end' and elem.tag == self.tag:
                yield elem
            root.clear()

I retrieve a list of elements from this... and do further processing
to represent them in different ways. I need to be able to capture the
data type from the schema definition for each field in the element.
i.e.

    <xsd:element name="concept">
        <xsd:complexType>
            <xsd:sequence>
                <xsd:element ref="foo"/>
                <xsd:element name="concept_id" type="xsd:string"/>
                <xsd:element name="line" type="xsd:integer"/>
                <xsd:element name="concept_value" type="xsd:string"/>
                <xsd:element ref="some_date"/>
            </xsd:sequence>
        </xsd:complexType>
    </xsd:element>

My thought is to recursively traverse through the schema definition
match the `name` attribute since they are unique to a `type` and
return that element. But I can't seem to make it quite work. All the
xml is valid, validation works, etc. This is what I have:

    def find_node(tree, name):
        for c in tree:
            if c.attrib.get('name') == name:
                return c
            if len(c) > 0:
                return find_node(c, name)
    return 0

I may have been staring at this too long, but when something is
returned... it should be returned completely, no? This is what occurs
with `return find_node(c, name) if it returns 0. `return c` works
(used pdb to verify that), but the recursion continues and ends up
returning 0.

Thoughts and/or a different approach are welcome. Thanks