4 hundred quadrillonth?

Dave Angel davea at ieee.org
Thu May 21 22:13:45 EDT 2009

Rob Clewley wrote:
> On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 8:19 PM, Gary Herron <gherron at islandtraining.com> wrote:
>
>> MRAB wrote:

> FYI you can explore the various possible IEEE-style implementations
> with my python simulator of arbitrary floating or fixed precision
> numbers:
>
> http://www2.gsu.edu/~matrhc/binary.html

It was over 40 years ago I studied Fortran, with the McCracken book.
There were big warnings in it about the hazards of binary floating
point.  This was long before the IEEE
 754, Python, Java, or even C.

In any floating point system with finite precision, there will be some
numbers that cannot be represented exactly.  Beginning programmers
assume that if you can write it exactly, the computer should understand
it exactly as well.  (That's one of the reasons the math package I
microcoded a few decades ago was base 10).

If you try to write 1/3 in decimal notation, you either have to write
forever, or truncate it somewhere.  The only fractions that terminate
are those that have a denominator (in lowest terms) comprised only of
powers of 2 and 5.  So 4/10 can be represented, and so can 379/625.  Any
other fraction, like 1/7, or 3/91 will make a repeating decimal,
sometimes taking many digits to repeat, but not repeating with zeroes.

In binary fractions, the rule is similar, but only for powers of 2.  If
there's a 5 in there, it cannot be represented exactly.

So people learn to use integers, or rational numbers (fractions), or
decimal representations, depending on what values they're willing to
have be approximate.

Something that escapes many people is that even when there's an error
there, sometimes converting it back to decimal hides the error.  So 0.4
might have an error on the right end, but 0.7 might happen to look good.

Thanks for providing tools that let people play.

An anecdote from many years ago (1975) -- I had people complain about my
math package, that cos(pi/2) was not zero.  It was something times
10**-13, but still not zero.  And they wanted it to be zero.  If
somebody set the math package to work in degrees, they'd see that
cos(90) was in fact zero.   Why the discrepancy?  Well,  you can't
represent pi/2 exactly, (in any floating point or fraction system, it's
irrational).  So if you had a perfect cos package, but give it a number
that's off just a little from a right angle, you'd expect the answer to
be off a little from zero.  Turns out that (in a 13 digit floating point
package), the value was the next 13 digits of pi/2.  And 12 of them were
accurate.  I was pleased as punch.