defaultdict's bug or feature?

Red Forks redforks at gmail.com
Fri May 22 04:53:04 EDT 2009

Yes, you maybe right. When use defaultdict, should not rely get() method
anymore, d[] is just enough. When a function return a defaultdict, but
people don't know it, so:

d = load_map()
# if she call d['a'], everything is OK but
# when call d.get('a'), she is always get None.
# Why she call d.get('a'), not d['a'], because she don't want to provider
default value herself (she didn't know it is a defaultdict)
It is just wield, call d[''a'] Ok, not get('a').

Sorry my poor english. Maybe somebody don't catch my mind, or maybe a little
rude.
I'm using and learning python about 2 weeks ago, spent me three hrs to find
the problem, almost drive me mad.
Maybe other like me, find some inconvience on this.

Actually, I steal defaultdict to do other things:

class OnloadDict(defaultdict):
    def __init__(self, onload):
        self.__onload = onload

    def __missing__(self, key):
        result = self.__onload(key)
        if not result:
            raise KeyError

        self[key] = result
        return result

    def get(self, key, default = None):
        ''' defaultdict.get() won't call __missing__, so override '''
        try:
            return self[key]
        except KeyError:
            return default

OnloadDict, is like a cache. When the value is not in dict, using 'onload'
function to load the value by the key.
When no value correspond to a key, a KeyError will raised. So I need a
*safer* version 'get()' method.