Python Socket Issues with VirtualBox

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Fri May 22 11:57:58 EDT 2009

On 22 Mai, 17:05, Alan Franzoni <alan.franzoni.x... at gmail.com> wrote:

> My first guess would be that you didn't specify the interface to bind to,
> and the interface order changes once you install virtualbox since it
> possibly adds a virtual interface of its own, but I can't tell unless you
> tell something more.

If a request is made to bind a socket to "" as is often indicated in
examples, I believe that an attempt is then made to bind the socket to
all available interfaces, and I can imagine that this might not work
for any special interfaces created for VirtualBox. See here for more
information:

http://docs.python.org/library/socket.html#example

Paul