reseting an iterator

J. Clifford Dyer jcd at sdf.lonestar.org
Fri May 22 20:31:22 EDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-05-22 at 10:54 -0700, Jan wrote:
> This produces an error because by definition of for-loops
> it is executed the same way as:
>
> temp_iterator = iter(y) # temp_iterator is y
> while True:
>     try:
>         print(next(temp_iterator)) # temp_iterator does not support
> __next__()
>     except StopIteration:
>         break

I think this is where you missed my point.

iter(y) actually returns an instance of class X, which does support
iteration.  And it returns a new X each time, thus resetting the
iterator.

That exact setup might or might not support your use case.  I don't
know, because you haven't described it.  However, whatever you need done
to X to get it back in shape to reiterate over can be done in
Y.__iter__().

Honestly, do you care if it's an iterator or an iterable, so long as
python can handle the job?