What text editor is everyone using for Python

Hendrik van Rooyen mail at microcorp.co.za
Tue May 26 03:58:40 EDT 2009

"Steven D'Aprano" <stev... at source.com.au> wrote:

>I use kwrite when on a GUI. When I can't avoid editing files remotely
>over ssh, I use nano.
>
>Why? I dislike Gnome's user-interface, and I find gedit slightly too
>underpowered and dumbed down for my taste. (Although it has a couple of
>nice features.) Of the KDE editors, kedit is too basic and I've never got
>into kate, although perhaps I should. kwrite has a nice clean, consistent
>UI that matches other KDE apps, instead of being hideously ugly like some
>apps I won't mention.

Interesting - Kwrite is essentially a bit of a dumbed down Kate - and I use
both - for python stuff I use Kwrite, set up to indent with tabs, and for SDCL
and C code I use Kate, set up to indent with spaces.  I have not noticed a
difference
in the UI, except that Kate keeps a list of active files, and seems to remember
what you were doing last time you used it.  (on SuSe)

When ssh- ing I have been using vim, painfully. Must look at nano - sounds good.
I really miss Brief.

- Hendrik