Network programming ?

Dave Angel davea at ieee.org
Tue May 26 04:00:52 EDT 2009

thushianthan15 at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am planning to develop a chatting software in Python, for my college
> project. I am using Windows Vista. Is it possible to do sockets
> programming in Python ? Any books or websites ?  Also, i want to
> develop a gui for that program. What are the gui tool kits available
> for windows? I already knew about PyGtk and PyQT, but will they work
> properly in Windows platform? Any suggestions?
>
> Thank you. Excuse my English.

You're asking two very distinct questions, and I hope others will chime
in, especially with the sockets one.

1)  There is a module called socket, for low level BSD socket access,
and it does support Windows (plus Mac OSX, BeOS, OS/2, and "all modern
Unix"   No experience with it, however.

2) There is tkInterf supplied with Python to do GUI development.
However, when I studied the choices I knew about, I picked wxPython.  I
don't even remember the other choices, because it's hard to learn more
than one.

see:  http://www.python.org/
and http://wiki.wxpython.org/

Both totally free, and with very easy (msi) installers for Windows.

Watch out for versions, though.  If you're goin to run wxPython, you
want to get Python 2.5x or 2.6x, nothing later.  And many say that
wxPython for  2.5x is more stable,
Then when you download wxPython, you need to get the matching version.