What text editor is everyone using for Python

Hendrik van Rooyen mail at microcorp.co.za
Tue May 26 04:13:51 EDT 2009

"Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <ldo at geek....new_zealand> wrote:

> In message <pan.2009.05.26.06.39.41 at REMOVE.THIS.cybersource.com.au>, Steven
> D'Aprano wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 26 May 2009 18:31:56 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> >
> >> In message <d6d05d39-98e7-4c28-
> >> b201-4b2445732ab4 at v35g2000pro.googlegroups.com>, LittleGrasshopper

> >> I don't understand why people need "syntax files" to use a text editor.
> >
> > Do you want syntax highlighting?
>
> Why?

It makes your screen look more busy as you type - for instance, if you
type a " or a ' then it treats the rest of the file from that point on as
belonging to the same string you are about to start typing, and colours it
all using the colour you have selected for displaying string literals.
This is basically to make you seasick and to force you to type the closing
quote immediately and then to back arrow to inside the string again to finish
typing the string, thereby making sure that firstly you type more keystrokes,
which will look good on your productivity summary, and secondly to save the
Python parser the hassle of dealing with a string that has no end quote.

Now with a recommendation like that - how can you possibly refuse to use
this excellent technology - are you some kind of Luddite, or what?

:-) - Hendrik