What text editor is everyone using for Python

Tue May 26 04:56:03 EDT 2009

On Tue, 26 May 2009 09:58:40 +0200, Hendrik van Rooyen wrote:

> "Steven D'Aprano" <stev... at source.com.au> wrote:
>
>>I use kwrite when on a GUI. When I can't avoid editing files remotely
>>over ssh, I use nano.
>>
>>Why? I dislike Gnome's user-interface, and I find gedit slightly too
>>underpowered and dumbed down for my taste. (Although it has a couple of
>>nice features.) Of the KDE editors, kedit is too basic and I've never
>>got into kate, although perhaps I should. kwrite has a nice clean,
>>consistent UI that matches other KDE apps, instead of being hideously
>>ugly like some apps I won't mention.
>>
> Interesting - Kwrite is essentially a bit of a dumbed down Kate - and I
> use both - for python stuff I use Kwrite, set up to indent with tabs,
> and for SDCL and C code I use Kate, set up to indent with spaces.  I
> have not noticed a difference
> in the UI, except that Kate keeps a list of active files, and seems to
> remember what you were doing last time you used it.  (on SuSe)

By memory, I started using kwrite before kate even existed, or at least
before it was included in KDE.

I think the most obvious difference is that kwrite uses one window per
open file, and kate uses a single IDE-style window for all open files.

> When ssh- ing I have been using vim, painfully. Must look at nano -
> sounds good. I really miss Brief.

nano is basically an updated (forked?) version of pico.

--
Steven