newbie: popen question

thebiggestbangtheory at gmail.com thebiggestbangtheory at gmail.com
Wed May 27 21:10:22 EDT 2009

hello everyone :-),
                         I am a newbie to python. I am trying to run a
bash script from within a python program. I would greatly appreciate
any pointers/comments about how to get around the problem I am facing.

I want to run  bash script: code.sh from within a python program.
code.sh needs to be run like so from the command line
[code]
$ sudo code.sh arg1 arg2
[/code]

I read up on some documentation but am not very clear about how to use
popen. I want to relegate the shell to a background process, but it
needs to accept the sudo passwd too!

I have tried
[code]
p = subprocess.Popen(['/bin/bash', 'sudo '+mypath+'code.sh '+arg1+'
'+arg2],
                                    stdout=subprocess.PIPE,
                                    stderr=subprocess.STDOUT)
[/code]
I tried some code from stackoverflow.com/questions/694000/why-doesnt-
subprocess-popen-always-return

nothing really happens when this executes, the PIPE option pshes it to
the background and I can't push in the sudo passwd. Can someone please
give me an idea of how to go about this.

To recap, I want to run a shell script, which needs to be started with
sudo, and then push it into the background.

Thanks,
-A