Seeking old post on developers who like IDEs vs developers who like simple languages

Benjamin Kaplan bsk16 at case.edu
Thu May 28 14:19:50 EDT 2009

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 2:09 PM, Mohan Parthasarathy <suruti94 at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 12:31 AM, Ulrich Eckhardt <eckhardt at satorlaser.com
> > wrote:
>
>> Steve Ferg wrote:
>> > On the one hand, there are developers who love big IDEs with lots of
>> > features (code generation, error checking, etc.), and rely on them to
>> > provide the high level of support needed to be reasonably productive
>> > in heavy-weight languages (e.g. Java).
>> >
>> > On the other hand there are developers who much prefer to keep things
>> > light-weight and simple.  They like clean high-level languages (e.g.
>> > Python) which are compact enough that you can keep the whole language
>> > in your head, and require only a good text editor to be used
>> > effectively.
>>
>> This distinction is IMHO not correct. If you took a look at Java, you
>> would
>> notice that the core language syntax is much simpler than Python's. OTOH,
>> if you add the standard libraries, you would soon see that Python's
>> libraries are not as consistent (i.e. conformant to PEP8) as Java's.
>>
>> What makes up for Python's perceived usability problems though is the
>> commandline parser that allows you to inspect the type of an object and
>> its
>> parts of it at runtime, in particular the docstrings are a treasure there.
>>
>> That said, an IDE that provides auto-completion (e.g. that gives you a
>> list
>> of available class members) is a good thing in Java, because you don't
>> have
>> to browse the documentation as often. With Python, that is impossible
>> because there are no types bound to parameters, so any type that fits is
>> allowed (duck typing).
>>

> I just downloaded the Aptana IDE which has Python support and I have not
> tried it yet. But I remebered seeing this thread. Has anyone used the Aptana
> IDE for Python development ?

The "Aptana IDE" is just Eclipse (www.eclipse.org) with Aptana's plugins
installed (you can get the plugins using a normal eclipse build too). The
Python plugin they use is called PyDev (pydev.sourceforge.net). Look through
the archives for all the people using eclipse + pydev. There are lots of
them.