AOPython Question

Mike Driscoll kyosohma at gmail.com
Thu May 28 16:10:24 EDT 2009

On May 28, 1:43 pm, Roastie <roasti... at gmail.com> wrote:
> I installed the AOPython module:
>
>    % easy_install aopython
>
> That left an aopython-1.0.3-py2.6.egg at
> C:\mystuff\python\python_2.6.2\Lib\site-packages.
>
> I entered the interpreter:

> All is well.
>
> But I was uncomfortable, since I was used to seeing directories
> of Python code for modules in site-packages, so I decided
> to read about eggs:http://mrtopf.de/blog/python_zope/a-small-introduction-to-python-eggs/
>
> The article told me to run:
>     % easy_install aopython-1.0.3-py2.6.egg
> The result was a long list of error messages and removal
> of my egg, and Python could no longer use the AOPython module.
>
> So, I'm looking for a better reference for telling me about eggs and
> modules in site-packages.
>
> Roastie
> roasti... at gmail.com

The first way to do it is usually the preferred method. When you do

easy_install somePackage

the easy_install script will try to find the package on PyPI and
download the latest version. If you do the latter, you are telling
easy_install to look for that specific version. If you mis-spell the
version slightly, then you will probably have issues. I am guessing
that is why you received those error messages.

See the easy install official docs:

http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall

- Mike