What text editor is everyone using for Python

Gabor Urban urbangabo at gmail.com
Fri May 29 02:57:18 EDT 2009

Hi guys,

I would like to reflect this issue for the last time, though I found
this thread to be quite inspiring.

In one the last postings about this topic Steven D'Aprano has written:
"As a general rule, menus are discoverable, while
keyboard commands aren't. There's nothing inherent to text editing
functions which makes then inherently undiscoverable,
and KDE apps like kate and kwrite do a reasonable job of making them so."

I agree with this assumption if, and only if we are speaking about
outsider users.

This is a Python mailing list, which supposed to be a forum of people
using the Python programming language. So Python
source is a plain text, so Python interpreter should be a
command-driven application. With no other UI than the plain old
Command Line Intreface.

MOre than that, all we are supposed to be techmen, who does
acknowledge and appreciate the conceot of wrtitten User Manual or
Reference. All we have learned Python from tutorials and not from the menues.

As a summary, any open source editor should be perfect, which is
extensible, optionally language-sensitive, portable, basically
independent of any OS features. THat cuts the list drammatically.

Gabor