Q: finding distance between 2 time's

martin at hvidberg.net martin at hvidberg.net
Sat May 30 05:33:03 EDT 2009

I made this little script (below) to look througt a dir to see if
there are any files newer than .e.g. 1 hour.
I have the loop through the dir working and can retreive file time as
well as present time.
both time variables are in the format returned by time.localtime()

My question:
How do I find the difference between such two time variables, to
calculate the 'age' of the file?

:-) Martin

------8<------ Code begin -------------

import os, time

def buildList(directory):
    listing = os.listdir(directory)
    for x in listing:
        x = os.path.join(directory, x)
        if os.path.isdir(x):
            print ('dir -> %s') % x
        if os.path.isfile(x):
            tstF = time.localtime(os.path.getmtime(x))
            nSize = os.path.getsize(x)
            print ('fil -> %s %d @ %s') % (x, nSize, time.asctime
(tstF))
    return 0

tstN = time.localtime()
print tstN
print "Time now: %s" % time.asctime(tstN)
buildList('C:\Martin\Work\Work_Eclipse\.metadata')