How to reuse TCP listening socket immediately after it was connected at least once?

Sun May 31 04:00:22 EDT 2009

In message <gvqh4p$obn$1 at news.lysator.liu.se>, Thomas Bellman wrote:

> We weren't exactly keen on rebooting the machine, but it was the
> fastest way of getting out of that situation that we could figure
> out.  How *should* we have dealt with it in your opinion?

Remember, the timed_wait timeout is there for a reason, and trying to defeat
it could reduce the reliability of your application--that's why cutting
corners is a bad idea.

If you want to minimize the effect of the timeout, then just use different
ports, and have the clients find them via DNS SRV records.