Database help needed

Emile van Sebille emile at fenx.com
Mon May 4 19:51:10 EDT 2009

On 5/4/2009 4:30 PM Amber said...

> My PHB is insane.
>
> Today he drops 50,000 databases in MS Access format on my desk, and
> tells me that by Friday I need to:
> * Remove all of the "junk content" in the record fields;
> * Remove all records with blank fields in them;
> * Correct all fields in which the markup is "wrong";
> * Correct all fields in which the data is "wrong";
> * Ensure that all database include some specific tables;
> ** Add appropriate content to the records in the "new" tables;
>
> And finally, said databases are to be in:
>
> * MS Access 97 format;
> * MS Access 2000 format;
> * MS Access 2003 format;
> ** Is there any documentation anywhere on what the differences between
> those is?   Won't a database created for Access 97 be openable in MS
> Access 2003?
> * SQLite format;
> * MySQL format;
> * PDB format, for use on his PalmPilot;
> * Commas separated values;
> * dBase 3;
> * Excell spreadsheets;
> * ODF spreadsheets;

It wouldn't surprise me that you couldn't do all this with open office
using command line options which is where I'd start.  There's also
python modules available, but I haven't yet gotten into them.  I found
most of what I needed on groups.google.com though, so not having
internet access could be trouble -- some of the conversion structures
and requirements weren't quite so obvious nor documentation easily
available.

Emile