FLV download script works, but I want to enhance it

The Music Guy musicguy at alphaios.net
Fri May 8 14:05:45 EDT 2009

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 9:29 AM, Aahz <aahz at pythoncraft.com> wrote:

> Here's my download script to get you started figuring this out, it does
> the wget in the background so that several downloads can run in parallel
> from a single terminal window:
>
> #!/bin/bash
>
> echo "Downloading $1"
> wget "$1" > /dev/null 2>&1 &
> --
> Aahz (aahz at pythoncraft.com)           <*>         http://www.pythoncraft.com/
>
> "It is easier to optimize correct code than to correct optimized code."
> --Bill Harlan
> --

Aahz,

Thanks for the reply, but unfortunately that script is going in the
complete wrong direction.

Firstly, downloading multiple files in tandem does not speed up the
process as it merely cuts up the already limited bandwidth into even
smaller pieces and delays every download in progress. It is much
better to queue downloads to occur one-by-one.

Secondly, that approach is based on bash rather than Python. I know I
could use the `&` operator on a command line to background processes,
but I would like to be able to have more control through Python and
the use of the subprocess or threading modules.