[Tutor] Challenge supporting custom deepcopy with inheritance

Michael H. Goldwasser goldwamh at slu.edu
Sun May 31 23:28:12 EDT 2009

Hi Kent,

Thanks for your thoughts.

For the original example code, you are correct that we could make it
work by having B provide the one-arg constructor to match A's
constructor signature.  But I don't see this as a general solution.

Having B.__deepcopy__() make a call to A.__deepcopy__() assumes that A
supports __deepcopy__ either direclty or indirectly.  This is not
guaranteed as __deepcopy__ is not supported all the way back to the
object base class.  It could be that the author of A has guaranteed
that the syntax deepcopy(instanceA) is properly supported, but that
could be done by other means without an explicit __deepcopy__ (such as
relying on a true deep copy, or using getstate/setstate to affect both
pickling and deepcopy).

As another basic puzzle, consider a class definition for B where B has
a registry list that it doesn't want cloned for the new instance (but
it does want pickled when serialized).  This would seem to require
that B implement its own __deepcopy__.   We want to somehow rely on
the class definition for A to enact the cloning fo the state defined
by A.   But without knowing about how A supports the deepcopy
semantics, I don't see how to accomplish this goal.

class B(A):
    def __init__(self):
        self.__registry = []

    def register(self, obj):
        self.__registry.append(obj)

    def __deepcopy__(self, memo={}):
        dup =  ????     # would like something like A's version of deepcopy(self,memo)
                        # as our starting point but we need an instance of class B
                        # and B.__deepcopy__ masks our ability to rely on the
                        # inherited semantics of deepcopy(self)
        dup.__registry = []
        memo[id(self)] = dup
        return dup