Migrating from R to Python

Ishwor Gurung ishwor.gurung at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 12:02:26 EST 2009

Hi,

2009/11/3 Ryan <rsheftel at gmail.com>:
> I am a long time user of "R" for statistical analysis and find it an
[...]

> My question is to people who have used zoo and xts in R, what has
> their experience been with Python? Would you recommend using native
> Python to do time series analysis, or rPy to link back to R for
> analysis?

Although I haven't used 'zoo' nor 'xts' in R I use Rpy/Rpy2 because it
seems to expose almost all(iirc) the necessary R space within Python
space. So, if I need features in R - for e.g., importing modules -
library('foo'), I can still have it in Python via the Rpy/Rpy2 bridge.
On the other hand with pytseries Python library, I'd be limited to
only run time-series analysis wouldn't I? In the end though, it all
depends on your project requirements, resources and so forth..
--
Regards,
Ishwor Gurung