Pyfora, a place for python

Tue Nov 3 05:37:13 EST 2009

On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 02:11:59 -0800, Lorenzo Gatti wrote:

> On Nov 1, 8:06 am, Saketh <saketh.bhamidip... at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I am proud to announce the release of Pyfora (http://pyfora.org), an
>> online community of Python enthusiasts to supplement comp.lang.python
>> and #python. While the site is small right now, please feel free to
>> register and post any questions or tips you may have.
>
> I'll feel free to not even bookmark it. I'm sorry, but it is just a bad
> idea.
>
> Your forum cannot (and should not) compete either with Python's official
> newsgroup, IRC channel and mailing list or with popular, well- made and
> well-frequented general programming sites like stackoverflow.com.

Are you saying that now that comp.lang.python and stackoverflow exists,
there no more room in the world for any more Python forums?

I think that's terrible.

Saketh, would you care to give a brief explanation for sets your forum
apart from the existing Python forums, and why people should choose to
spend time there instead of (or as well as) the existing forums? What
advantages does it have?

> It would be the Internet equivalent of looking for a poker tournament in
> a desert valley instead of driving half an hour less and going to Las
> Vegas: there are no incentives to choose your forum, except perhaps for
> isolationists who value being a big fish in a small pond over being part
> of a community.

(Funny you mention Las Vegas -- it started off as a tiny little town in
the middle of the desert too.)

How about avoiding the noise and obtrusive advertising and bright lights
of Las Vegas, the fakery, the "showmanship", the horrible fake pyramid
and has-been celebrities, the crowds, the tackiness, the high prices, the
bright lights that never turn off (Las Vegas is the brightest city on
Earth)... if you're interested in poker without all the mayonnaise, maybe
that poker tournament away from the tourists is exactly what you need.

Personally, if I wanted to gamble, the last place I would go is any house
which had gold-plated taps in the bathrooms. That tells me the house's
percentage is *way* too high.

--
Steven