Pyfora, a place for python

Lorenzo Gatti gatti at dsdata.it
Tue Nov 3 10:00:39 EST 2009

On Nov 3, 11:37 am, Steven D'Aprano <st... at REMOVE-THIS-
cybersource.com.au> wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 02:11:59 -0800, Lorenzo Gatti wrote:
[...]
> Are you saying that now that comp.lang.python and stackoverflow exists,
> there no more room in the world for any more Python forums?
>
> I think that's terrible.

Although there is a high barrier to entry for general Python forums,
it is not a problem because the door is always open for specialized
forums that become the natural "home" of some group or thought leader
or of some special interest, for example the forum of a new software
product or of the fans of an important blog.

Unfortunately, pyfora.org has neither a distinct crowd behind it nor
an unique topic, and thus no niche to fill; it can only contribute
fragmentation, which is unfortunate because Saketh seems enthusiastic.

What in some fields (e.g. warez forums or art boards) would be healthy
redundancy and competition between sites and forums becomes pure
fragmentation if the only effect of multiple forums is to separate the
same questions and opinions that would be posted elsewhere from
potential readers and answerers.
Reasonable people know this and post their requests for help and
discussions either in the same appropriate places as everyone else or
in random places they know and like; one needs serious personal issues
to abandon popular forums for obscure ones.

> Saketh, would you care to give a brief explanation for sets your forum
> apart from the existing Python forums, and why people should choose to
> spend time there instead of (or as well as) the existing forums? What
> advantages does it have?

That's the point, I couldn't put it better.

> > It would be the Internet equivalent of looking for a poker tournament in
> > a desert valley instead of driving half an hour less and going to Las
> > Vegas:
> > [...]
> How about avoiding the noise and obtrusive advertising and bright lights
> of Las Vegas, the fakery, the "showmanship",
> [...]
> if you're interested in poker without all the mayonnaise, maybe
> that poker tournament away from the tourists is exactly what you need.

I didn't explain my similitude clearly: I was comparing the fitness
for purpose of going to Las Vegas with a plan to gamble with the
absurdity of stopping, say, at an isolated gas station in the hope of
finding a poker tournament there.
If you are hinting that popular newsgroups and forums might be so full
of fakery, showmanship, mayonnaise, etc. to deserve secession, it's
another topic.

Regards,
Lorenzo Gatti