comparing alternatives to py2exe

Jonathan Hartley tartley at tartley.com
Tue Nov 3 10:58:16 EST 2009

Hi,

Recently I put together this incomplete comparison chart in an attempt
to choose between the different alternatives to py2exe:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tZ42hjaRunvkObFq0bKxVdg&output=html

Columns represent methods of deploying to end-users such that they
don't have to worry about installing Python, packages or other
dependencies. 'Bundle' represents manually bundling an interpreter
with your app. 'Bootstrap' represents a fanciful idea of mine to
include an installer that downloads and installs an interpreter if
necessary. This sounds fiddly, since it would have to install side-by-
side with any existing interpreters of the wrong version, without
breaking anything. Has anyone done this?

The remaining columns represent the projects out there I could find
which would do the bundling for me.

Are there major things I'm missing or misunderstanding?

Perhaps folks on the list would care to rate (+1/-1) rows that they
find important or unimportant, or suggest additional rows that would
be important to them. Maybe an updated and complete version of this
table would help people agree on what's important, and help the
various projects to improve faster.

Best regards,

  Jonathan