list to table

John Posner jjposner at
Fri Nov 6 16:44:38 CET 2009

Gabriel Genellina said:
>> Another reason was that §6.2 does explicitly discuss attribute
>> references as targets, but not subscription as target. It would have
>> been more clear to me if all (four?) possible target forms were
>> discussed. Happily you did now discuss that in the part that I
>> snipped above, but would've been nice, and easier for for an
>> other-language-thinking person :-), if it was in documentation.
> Yes, probably that section should be improved (except the final
> example added, the text hasn't changed since it was first written,
> more than 9 years ago).
FWIW ... following on a discussion in this forum in March of this year
[1], I submitted issue #5621 at, along with a proposed
rewording of the documentation of this case:

   self.x = self.x + 1

I did *not* address the case in which the target is a subscription -- it
wasn't the focus of the forum discussion. IMHO, the subscription case is
much less subject to misunderstanding than the
instance-attribute-vs-class-attribute case. My change was accepted (with
some rearrangements made by Georg Brandl), but has not yet been included
in any Py2 or Py3 release, AFAIK.