is None or == None ?

Alf P. Steinbach alfps at
Fri Nov 6 19:45:02 CET 2009

* Hrvoje Niksic:
> "Alf P. Steinbach" <alfps at> writes:
>> But wow. That's pretty hare-brained: dynamic allocation for every
>> stored value outside the cache range, needless extra indirection for
>> every operation.
>> Even Microsoft COM managed to get this right.
>> On the positive side, except that it would probably break every C
>> module (I don't know), in consultant speak that's definitely a
>> potential for improvement. :-p
> Tagged integers have been tried, shown not really worth it, and
> ultimately rejected by the BDFL:

Yah, as I suspected. I looked at the first few postings in that thread and it
seems an inefficient baroque implementation was created and tested, not
realizing more than 50% speedup in a test not particularly much exercising its
savings, and against that counts as mentioned in the thread and as I mentioned
in quoted material above, breaking lots of existing C code.

Speedup would likely be more realistic with normal implementation (not fiddling
with bit-fields and stuff) not to mention when removing other inefficiencies
that likely dwarf and hide the low-level performance increase, but still I agree
wholeheartedly with those who argue compatibility, not breaking code.

As long as it Works, don't fix it... ;-)

Cheers, (still amazed, though)

- Alf