Is it possible to get the Physical memory address of a variable in python?

Benjamin Kaplan benjamin.kaplan at case.edu
Mon Nov 9 20:34:56 EST 2009

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 7:47 PM, Ognjen Bezanov <Ognjen at mailshack.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Say I have a python variable:
>
> a = "hello"
>
> Is it possible for me to get the physical address of that variable (i.e.
> where it is in RAM)?
>
> I know that id(a) will give me it's memory address, but the address given
> does not seem to correlate with the physical memory. Is this even possible?
>

> Thank you!
>

> Ognjen

When you use Python, program in Python and not C. What do you need the
memory location of a variable for? Python, like Java and .NET is a
higher level language. You're not supposed to worry about things like
the physical location in memory. There's probably some ugly hack using
ctypes, or just writing the code in C but I don't know enough about
Python's C API to know what it is.

FWIW, even the id(x) == address of x is only an implementation detail
of CPython. Other Python implementations don't use that scheme.