how to create a pip package

Wolodja Wentland wentland at cl.uni-heidelberg.de
Tue Nov 10 04:54:39 EST 2009

On Mon, Nov 09, 2009 at 19:48 -0800, Phlip wrote:
> I have a single file that I need my crew to pip install.

Where do you plan to host this file? Will it be available on PiPy?

> When I Google for "how to create a pip package" I don't hit anything.
> Of course that info is out there; I can't seem to pick up the trail of
> breadcrumbs to it.

As has already been noted in this thread you do not create a file
specifically for pip, but rather use the standard (or soon to be) way of
distributing Python distributions outlined in:

http://docs.python.org/library/distutils.html#module-distutils
http://packages.python.org/distribute/

If you do not plan to host your "file" on pypi you can easily create a
pip requirements file that references a VCS of your choice. Read how to
do this in the pip documentation on "editable" packages:

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pip/

kind regards

    Wolodja