how to create a pip package

Wolodja Wentland wentland at cl.uni-heidelberg.de
Tue Nov 10 10:14:18 EST 2009

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 06:30 -0800, Phlip wrote:
> On Nov 10, 1:54 am, Wolodja Wentland <wentl... at cl.uni-heidelberg.de>
> wrote:
>
> > http://docs.python.org/library/distutils.html#module-distutils
> > http://packages.python.org/distribute/
>
> ktx... now some utterly retarded questions to prevent false starts.

> the distutils page starts with "from distutils.core import setup".

[..]

>     from setuptools import setup, find_packages

It will be enough to use the method outlined in the distutils
documentation. Setuptools is a third-party library that used to be the
de-facto standard for Python packaging. I don't want to go into detail
why setuptools might not be the best choice for a project and leave that
to [1] and [2].

The Distribute project was started in order to fix several bugs in
setuptools which was essentially unmaintained for a year and provides a
backward compatible fork in the 0.6 branch.

kind regards

    Wolodja

[1] http://www.b-list.org/weblog/2008/dec/14/packaging/
[2] http://blog.ianbicking.org/2008/12/14/a-few-corrections-to-on-packaging/