(OT) Recommend FTP Client

Dave Angel davea at ieee.org
Thu Nov 12 14:26:50 EST 2009

Victor Subervi wrote:
> Hi;
> Someone on this list just recommended I find an ftp client that enables me
> to change line endings. He indicated that it would be easy, but googling I
> haven't been able to find one. I would prefer a free client, but whatever.
> Please send me a recommendation.
> TIA,
> Victor

Try  http://fireftp.mozdev.org/

fireftp is an (free) addon to Firefox.  If you're already using Firefox,
it's painless to download it, and easy to use.  You can set up
account(s) complete with passwords and default directories, and then
transfer individual files or directory trees full just by selecting and
pressing the Arrow icons (one for upload, one for download).  You can
sort by timestamp, so it's not hard to just transfer new stuff.

One of the Tools->Options tabs is  "Downloads/Uploads".  First box looks
like:

   When transferring files use:
               o - Automatic mode
               o - Binary mode
               o - ASCII mode

According to the help, Automatic mode is very useful for CGI scripts,
where you specify which extensions will get the line-endings converted.
          http://fireftp.mozdev.org/help.html

But please understand:  I personally use Binary mode in FireFTP because
I'm a control freak.  Python can handle Unix line-endings just fine, so
any files that are bound for CGI I just edit in that mode in the first
place.

DaveA