Python & Go

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Thu Nov 12 16:37:30 EST 2009

On 2009-11-12, Patrick Sabin <patrick.just4fun at gmail.com> wrote:
> kj wrote:
>>
>> I'm just learning about Google's latest: the GO (Go?) language.
>> (e.g. http://golang.org or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKnDgT73v8s).
>> There are some distinctly Pythonoid features to the syntax, such
>> as "import this_or_that", the absence of parentheses at the top of
>> flow control constructs, and quite a few statements without a
>> trailing semicolon.  Then again, there's a lot that looks distinctly
>> un-Pythonlike, such as the curly brackets all over the place.  And
>> among the un-Pythonlike stuff there's a lot that looks like nothing
>> else that I've ever seen...
>
> I don't see many similarities with python,

Same here.  Go syntax is much more like C/Java than Python.

Sematically, I don't see much that's similar either. Go is
statically typed.  Go has no inheritence.  Go has no exceptions
( no practical error handling AFAICT).  Despite all the people
who keep saying it's similar to Python, I don't really see what
they're talking about.  It seems more like C with garbage
collection and interfaces, or maybe cleaned-up Java.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! I have a VISION!  It's
                                  at               a RANCID double-FISHWICH on