Does turtle graphics have the wrong associations?

Richard Heathfield rjh at see.sig.invalid
Fri Nov 13 03:27:00 EST 2009

In <hdj4aj$7k4$1 at news.eternal-september.org>, Alf P. Steinbach wrote:

> But in reality the intellectual challenge of something in the
> traditional "basic" category can be greater than for something
> conventionally regarded as "advanced".

And consequently is much harder to teach. I have nothing but
admiration for primary school children and their teachers, because
children can *actually learn to read*. Once you can read, future
learning objectives become much easier to achieve. Same with
programming - once you've grokked the core ideas, the rest is more or
less window dressing in comparison.

The gap between nought and one is much greater than the gap between
one and a thousand.

<snip>

> It's like
> the difference between driving a car and designing one. You don't
> need an engineering degree to drive a car. :-)

Right. Nowadays, you need a degree in electronics instead.

Email: -http://www. +rjh@
Sig line vacant - apply within