Vote on PyPI comments

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Fri Nov 13 10:39:19 EST 2009

Hi All,

Apologies for the cross post, but I'm not sure this has received the
publicity it deserves...

PyPI grew a commenting and rating system a while back, apparently in
response to requests from users. However, since it's been rolled out,
there's been a backlash from package maintainers who already have
mailing lists, bug trackers, etc for their packages and don't want to
have to try and keep track of yet another support forum.

The arguments for and against are listed here:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/PyPIComments

To resolve the future of the commenting and rating system, a vote has
been set up so everyone can have their say.

To vote, please log in to:

http://pypi.python.org/pypi

...and follow the instructions you'll be presented with.

I would like to remain neutral on this, and for me that means giving
package authors the ability to choose whether they want to receive
comments, ratings or neither rather than either forcing package authors
to accept comments and ratings or abandoning the idea of comments and
ratings completely.

The closest option to that is:

"Allow package owners to disallow comments (ratings unmodified)"

I hope the majority of you feel the same way...

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk