python simply not scaleable enough for google?

Aaron Watters aaron.watters at
Fri Nov 13 21:37:59 CET 2009

On Nov 11, 3:15 pm, Terry Reedy <tjre... at> wrote:
> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> I can imagine a day when code compiled from Python is routinely
> time-competitive with hand-written C.

That time is now, in many cases.

I still stand by my strategy published in Unix World
ages ago: get it working in Python, profile it, optimize
it, if you need to do it faster code the inner loops in

Of course on google app engine, the last step is not possible,
but I don't think it is needed for 90% of applications
or more.

My own favorite app on google app engine/appspot is

    implemented using whiff
    as described in this tutorial

not as fast as I would like sporadically.  But that's
certainly not Python's problem because the same application
running on my laptop is *much* faster.

By the way: the GO language smells like Rob Pike,
and I certainly hope it is more successful than
Limbo was.  Of course, if Google decides to really
push it then it's gonna be successful regardless
of all other considerations, just like Sun
did to Java...

   -- Aaron Watters

Limbo: how low can you go?