A "terminators' club" for clp

r rt8396 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 19:13:42 EST 2009

On Nov 13, 5:29 pm, kj <no.em... at please.post> wrote:
> This is "meta-question" about comp.lang.python.  I apologize in
> advance if it has been already discussed.  Also, I don't know enough
> about the underlying mechanics of comp.lang.python, so this may be
> *totally unfeasible*, but how about giving a few bona fide *and
> frequent* clp posters the ability to *easily* delete spam from the
> comp.lang.python server?

How long you been hanging around here?

There are problems inherent in all moderated groups. When you give
anyone the power to delete post they can use it for good and for evil.
c.l.py like all groups has good and bad followers, spam, and trollers
like anywhere else. What you consider spam and trolling i may consider
freedom of speech although like anyone here i vehemently hate spammers
and would like to put them out of business permanently! Trolls don't
bother me so much because i just skip past their posts -- And there
are many levels of trolling.

However if you are selling something (that is *not* directly python
related) then i think we could *safely* say that you are spamming this
group. Nobody has come here to buy a knockoff Rolex's or Nike tennis
shoes at ten bucks each. If you are posting porn links then we could
*safely* say that porn is in no way applicable to this group and
delete them on that merit. I'm OK with that, but would it stop there?

If you look back through history you will find many instances of the
powerful robbing the innocent peoples of freedoms in the name of good,
or even the name of God, despicable hypocrite's!. Heck people where
murdered by nation states just because of fear and ignorance ("Salem
witch trials" ring a bell, the holocaust ring a bell?, and many many
more sad cases).

So if i had a choice between trollers, spammers, and power hungry
murderers, i'll buy the rolex and listen to x-and-lee's all day long
thank you very much!

Power is corrupting, and absolute power is absolutely corrupting!