python simply not scaleable enough for google?

sturlamolden sturlamolden at yahoo.no
Sat Nov 14 02:51:33 EST 2009

On 14 Nov, 08:39, Robert Brown <bbr... at speakeasy.net> wrote:

> > Using Python 3 annotations, one can imagine a Python compiler that does the
> > appropriate thing (shown in the comments) with the following code.
>
> I can imagine a lot too, but we're talking about Python as it's specified
> *today*.  The Python language as it's specified today is hard to execute
> quickly.  Not impossible, but very hard, which is why we don't see fast Python
> systems.

It would not be too difficult to have a compiler like Cython recognize
those annotations instead of current "cdef"s.

With Cython we can get "Python" to run at "the speed of C" just by
adding in optional type declarations for critical variables (most need
not be declared).

With CMUCL and SBCL we can make Common Lisp perform at "the speed of
C", for the same reason.

Also a Cython program will usually out-perform most C code. It
combines the strengths of C, Fortran 90 and Python.