python-daemon and upstart

Paul Rudin paul.nospam at rudin.co.uk
Sat Nov 14 11:56:47 EST 2009

Paul Rudin <paul.nospam at rudin.co.uk> writes:

> Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> writes:
>
>> Paul Rudin <paul.nospam at rudin.co.uk> writes:

>>> description "test daemon"
>>> expect daemon
>>> chdir /tmp
>>> exec /tmp/testdaemon.py

Further experimentation reveals that by omitting the "expect daemon"
stanza everything works fine. But I'm still a confused - the manpage
says:

  expect daemon
         Specifies that the job's main process is a daemon, and will fork
         twice  after being run.  init(8) will follow this daemonisation,
         and will wait for this to occur before running the  job's  post-
         start script or considering the job to be running.

         Without  this  stanza init(8) is unable to supervise daemon pro‐
         cesses and will believe them to have stopped  as  soon  as  they
         daemonise on startup.

So I would have expected it to be necessary in this case. Maybe this is
more an upstart issue than a python-daemon one - not sure.