python simply not scaleable enough for google?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Nov 14 17:02:19 EST 2009

sturlamolden wrote:

> - For the few cases where a graphics program really need C, we can
> always resort to using ctypes, f2py or Cython. Gluing Python with C or
> Fortran is very easy using these tools. That is much better than
> keeping it all in C++.

In case anyone thinks resorting to C or Fortran is cheating, they should
know that CPython, the implementation, was designed for this. That is
why there is a documented C-API and why the CPython devs are slow to
change it. Numerical Python dates back to at least 1.3 and probably
earlier. The people who wrote it were some of the first production users
of Python.

Terry Jan Reedy