Easy way to play single musical notes in Python

James Harris james.harris.1 at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 14 19:12:39 EST 2009

Is there a simple way to play musical notes in Python? Something like

  voice.play("c4")

to play C in octave 4 would be ideal. I included a voice parameter as
I'd like to play proper notes, not just beeps. This is for recognition
of pitch. For example, the program plays a note and the user tries to
identify the note played.

There are many options at

  http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonInMusic

but which to choose? They generally seem too complex. I'm looking for
something really basic. It would help if it was cross platform and
didn't need Tkinter as the snack library does. I presume pure Python
is not possible.

Any suggestions?

James