python simply not scaleable enough for google?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Nov 15 01:53:06 EST 2009

John Nagle wrote:
> Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>
>    Take a good look at Shed Skin.  One guy has been able to build a system
> that compiles Python to C++, without requiring the user to add
> "annotations" about types.

In *only* compiles a subset of Python, as does Cython. Both cannot
(currently) do generators, but that can be done and probably will
eventually at least for Cython. Much as I love them, they can be
rewritten by hand as iterator classes and even then are not needed for a
lot of computational code.

I think both are good pieces of work so far.