How to get directory of Python C library

arve.knudsen at gmail.com arve.knudsen at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 16:08:22 EST 2009

On 15 Nov, 21:24, "Diez B. Roggisch" <de... at nospam.web.de> wrote:
> arve.knud... at gmail.com schrieb:

> >> Most probably from the registry somehow. In general, try & locate a
> >> python-executable, and make it execute
>
> >>   python -c "import sys; print sys.prefix"
>
> >> Capture that, and you're done. Depending on the OS, the libs then are
> >> placed in e.g. <prefix>/lib.
>
> > That doesn't solve anything, the hard part is figuring out the part
> > after <prefix> ..
>
> AFAIK is that only varying based on the OS. Under unix, it's
>
>   <prefix>/lib/python<version>/
>
> You can get the platform via sys.platform.

Well, my point is that I should like a way to query for this
directory, just as I can query distutils.sysconfig for the include
directory and Python library (i.e., the standard Python library)
directory. It's not trivial to figure out Python's installation scheme
so long as it's not written in stone ..

Arve