python simply not scaleable enough for google?

sturlamolden sturlamolden at yahoo.no
Sun Nov 15 23:51:29 EST 2009

On 16 Nov, 05:09, John Nagle <na... at animats.com> wrote:

>       Python is a very clean language held back from widespread use by slow
> implementations.  If Python ran faster, Go would be unnecessary.

That boggles me.

NASA can find money to build a space telescope and put it in orbit.
They don't find money to create a faster Python, which they use for
analyzing the data.

Google is a multi-billion dollar business. They are using Python
extensively. Yes I know about Unladen Swallow, but why can't they put
1 mill dollar into making a fast Python?

And then there is IBM and Cern's Blue Brain project. They can set up
the fastest supercomputer known to man, but finance a faster Python?
No...

I saw this myself. At work I could get money to buy a € 30,000
recording equipment. I could not get money for a MATLAB license.

It seems software and software development is heavily underfinanced.
The big bucks goes into fancy hardware. But fancy hardware is not so
fancy without equally fancy software.