Changing the current directory (full post)

vsoler vicente.soler at
Mon Nov 16 20:36:49 CET 2009

On Nov 16, 2:35 am, "Gabriel Genellina" <gagsl-... at>
> En Sun, 15 Nov 2009 09:04:06 -0300, vsoler < at>
> escribió:
> > Ever since I installed my Python 2.6 interpreter (I use IDLE), I've
> > been saving my
> > *.py files in the C:\Program Files\Python26 directory, which is the
> > default directory for such files in my system.
> > However, I have realised that the above is not the best practice.
> > Therefore I created the C:\Program Files\Python26\test directory and I
> > want it to be my default directory for saving *.py files, importing
> > modules, etc.
> This is *not* a good place either. Non-privileged users should not have
> write permission in the C:\Program Files directory.
> > I'd like to do something like the DOS equivalent of   "CD test" but I
> > do not know kow to do it.
> > I am currently doing something really awful: I open a *.py file in the
> > test subdirectory, I run it with the F5 key and it works! but I am
> > doing really something stupid.
> "it works!" What's the problem then?
> > How should I proceed, if I want to proceed properly?
> Sorry but I don't even see your problem. You can save your .py files
> anywhere you like...
> --
> Gabriel Genellina

When I enter IDLE, I'd like to say at the prompt: "my current
directory is...  ...test" and then be able to run a module in that
directory. This is what my problem is!!!

Thank you if you can help