python simply not scaleable enough for google?

Paul Rubin http
Mon Nov 16 21:27:05 EST 2009

sturlamolden <sturlamolden at yahoo.no> writes:
> >       Python is a very clean language held back from widespread use by slow
> > implementations.  If Python ran faster, Go would be unnecessary.
>
> Google is a multi-billion dollar business. They are using Python
> extensively. Yes I know about Unladen Swallow, but why can't they put
> 1 mill dollar into making a fast Python?

I don't think Python and Go address the same set of programmer
desires.  For example, Go has a static type system.  Some programmers
find static type systems to be useless or undesirable.  Others find
them extremely helpful and want to use them them.  If you're a
programmer who wants a static type system, you'll probably prefer Go
to Python, and vice versa.  That has nothing to do with implementation
speed or development expenditures.  If Google spent a million dollars
adding static types to Python, it wouldn't be Python any more.