New syntax for blocks

Jonathan Saxton jsaxton at appsecinc.com
Tue Nov 17 10:28:36 EST 2009

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 21:27:31 +0100, Bruno Desthuilliers wrote:

>> Congratulations, you just reinvented one of the most infamous source of
>> bugs in C, C++, Java, PHP, javascript and quite a few other languages.
>> Believe it or not, but not allowing this in Python was a very deliberate
>> design choice.
>
> Oh, but those hundreds of thousands of man-hours lost to bugs caused by
> assignment-as-an-expression is nothing compared to the dozens of man-
> minutes saved by having one fewer line of code!
>

> *wink*

And if I ever find the genius who had the brilliant idea of using = to mean assignment then I have a particularly nasty dungeon reserved just for him.  Also a foul-smelling leech-infested swamp for those language designers and compiler writers who followed his example.  (Come to think of it, plagiarizing a bad idea is probably the worse evil.)

--
Steven